"We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities." -Ralph Waldo Emerson



Saturday, October 19, 2013

“It’s never too late to be who you might have been.” – George Eliot

As I turned twenty this year, I could not shake the feeling that my life was going by faster than I could keep up with. My memories have started to string together and get jumbled in my head, I have lost touch with friends I thought would be by my side until I died, and it has finally hit me that this is my life. This is it. Today and every day. 

But twenty means something else to me too. It means it is time to grow up and figure out what my purpose is. I have had one too many meaningless nights and I can feel my priorities are shifting. My life is getting lost among the distractions and the sparkle. I always say we were meant to live not survive, and it is about time I start taking my own advice seriously. I am meant for something greater and I can do greater things than what I have been doing. I want a different kind of sparkle, the kind that inspires and grows and helps people. I refuse to be another body moving toward conformity. My choices should revolve around making myself a better human being, not immediate gratification. I want to run and jump and live life like the person I want to be. I want to read books and write and take naps and learn and teach. I want to be the person my heart is telling me to be. The people in my life deserve to be appreciated and loved with my whole self, and I need to become the person who can do that. 

Twenty is my time to grow up and be a better person. And it is the time for me to face my problems head on and learn to appreciate the next twenty years. My life is in need of a little turn around, and I am excited to experience the new me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment