"We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities." -Ralph Waldo Emerson



Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Dear RSB

Dear Rach,

Hey baby girl. It's me, your cloth buddy. I wish you could see yourself right now, and how strong you have become. I remember the first time I met you and you smiled at me with a glow that would stop anyone in their tracks. I remember our first lunch date. I remember our first night out. I remember the first time you cried when we were out. I remember when we became sisters. And I remember when I had to say goodbye to you. I also remember the person you were when you came into my life. Looking back on that girl now, I can hardly recognize you.

You do not stumble at adversity. You do not falter when asked to sacrifice something for someone you love. I know when something does not go how you planned it all out in your mind, you count it as a failure. But I have to let you know something that I do not think you were ready for until now. You cannot fail. The strength you have inside you is not done evolving, and when you least expect it, you will look at your life only to realize how happy you finally are. But you must stop looking. Stop searching for that perfection. Stop worrying about what happens next, because you cannot predict it.

He is coming. You may have met him, you may have loved him, you may have never laid your eyes on him. Know that for every day you have spent searching for him, he has been searching for you too. He imagines what you may be like, and wonders what you will teach his children, what kind of music you listen to, if you will love him as much as he already loves you. And one day, you will know what it is like to have your heart connected to someone so strongly, that nothing could tear you apart. The kind of love that cannot be broken or tarnished. One day it will be yours.

Know that you are beautiful. And the things you hate about yourself, everyone else envies them. The things you wish you could be are insignificant compared to the things you already have. The day you see that is the day your life will become exactly that: your life. Just you. Stop looking at everyone around you and making them feel better about themselves, they will be just fine. Be selfish. I am giving you permission to tell yourself you are beautiful.

Take one minute today to list the things you love. I can help you. You love Jews, cats, snuggling, naptime, Netflix, documentaries when you fall asleep, not wearing pants, wearing Hippie clothes, your mom, your dad, writing, making people laugh, dancing, your belly button, a good book, a good cry, and your sues.

Your mom always says you have a sticky mind. And one day it will stick how you make the lives of people better, simply because they met you.

i love you.
-me

No comments:

Post a Comment