"We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities." -Ralph Waldo Emerson



Saturday, October 15, 2011

You and Me, Forever and Ever...

"...the days go by oh so slowly, as the sun shines oh so holy on the good and gracious green, in the summer of my dreams."

I have always been the one who had more than one best friend. When we lived in Dallas, it was all the little girls in my 1st grade class. In Phoenix, it was the four girls I was forced to leave when we moved yet again. And now in Charlotte, I am one part of five girls who have more fun than anyone you have ever met. Through all of these changes, one thing stayed the same: Camp. And every day I thank God for camp, because it was there that I met my real best friend. The one I will never doubt or hate or ever forget. Nor could I forget the summer we became inseparable…



Every morning our CIT summer we would fight. Not because I was talking in my sleep or shaking the bunk too much with my restless turning. But rather because every night I told her I would get up and run those Blue Ridge Mountain hills with her, and every morning I ignored her attempts to wake me. I knew she hated it, and I knew she just wanted me to keep my promise. But every morning she still tried to wake me up, hoping I would change my lazy ways and go for a run with her. It was after a month of this relentlessness that I truly saw her for the first time. Sarah is passionate and understanding and the best person I know. But I didn’t even know all these things two years ago, all I knew was that she needed to stop waking me up at 6:30 am every day. Looking back on it now, I am so thankful she didn’t. She was determined to make me the best version of myself, and she would never cease to try. The summer of 2011 at CGA was the best yet. And I firmly believe it is because Sarah became more than just that annoying redhead waking me up every day. She became my best friend, my sister, and my role model.

Sarah and I had a countless talks about nothing this summer, but somehow they covered everything. We traded stories and thoughts about everything from life itself to God to family. I have never met someone who can be so kind and who has such an amazing heart. That is the main reason I love her, and the reason I cherish her as a friend. No matter who you are or where you come from, Sarah believes in you. She believes in your dreams and your aspirations, she acknowledges your fears and admits hers, she fights to make you a better person, she feels deeply and through to her heart no matter the subject. She listens and speaks at the exact moments you need her to. Before you even begin to speak you know she will understand. She is just the right amount of awkward, and sees the world in an amazing way. Remember when we were young enough to see the good instead of the bad? When everything sparkled and shined and nothing was unreachable? When the hero always won, but second chances were always an option? That’s how Sarah sees it.


No matter where I go or how my life ends up, Sarah and I will always be sisters at heart. She will change the world, just you wait and see. And you best believe I will be standing there next to her waiting to tackle-hug her when she does.

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.
- Bernard Meltzer


Happy 18th Birthday Sarah. I will never forget you or how you changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment