"We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities." -Ralph Waldo Emerson



Monday, June 10, 2013

"Happiness is only real, when shared..." -Into the Wild

 
Are you ever tempted? To leave the life you lead and discover a more beautiful version of yourself, or to explore with no strings attached, nothing grasping to you to stay around. There is a fine line between what you are blessed with and what you take advantage of. The artificiality that consumes so many lost souls disheartens my ability to believe in a positive future for our generation.

Imagine the world that I do. Dream of a freedom we have never felt before. Not the kind of liberty we are constituted with, or the kind found in the world we are born into. This is true freedom. If tomorrow I sold my belongings, drained my accounts, and gave myself up to the world, how bad could it really be? Some may believe it to be selfish. How could I be given so much only to throw it away? But is it really all that much.

We have developed the habit of stitching together all the pieces of fabric we can find and calling it our life. A bit of happiness, a bit of discomfort, a piece of memories, and a swatch of disappointment. Our hearts are so set on getting by and not drowning that we never step back and look at that life. We do not see how the fabrics fit together in a way that makes sense. It is imperative that the world begin to see value in the memories we make, and the people we meet. A world that throws away the gold and replaces it with cooperation. That is the world I want to see.

Chris McCandless gave away his thousands of dollars to charity, changed his name, and wandered the world looking for satisfaction. Reading about such courage and vivacity awakened something in my heart. Of course I would never challenge someone who believes their life truly makes them happy. If you are meant to be at that desk and you are meant to work nine to five until the day you die, then you are doing what most people could never dream of: living your passion.

My passion is not ordinary. It cannot conform. It does not flow like society wants it to. Someday, I will live it. And someday, the rest of the world will finally understand what it means to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment